The Ministry of Defense (MD) and the Foundation Getúlio Vargas (FGV) released, last Wednesday, in Brasilia, the book “Segurança Internacional: Perspectivas Brasileiras” (in English: “International Security: Brazilian perspectives”), which joins 39 articles of invited specialists that represent the diversity of the strategic thought of the country.
According to the MD, the publication is a result of an extraordinary cycle of seminars carried out between March and June of this year in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Brasilia.
The conferences had the sponsorship of the Ministry of Defense and were carried out in partnership with the Foundation Getúlio Vargas, Foundation Armando Álvares Penteado, FIESP, Command of the Army and Command of the Navy.
The book was organized by Minister Nelson Jobim, by his military adviser, General Sergio Etchegoyen and by the diplomat João Paulo Alsina.
On October 6, at 18:00, the publication was released in the Bookstore Cultura of the Conjunto Nacional Mall, in São Paulo (Avenida Paulista, 2073). The next day, October 7, the release was in the headquarters of the FGV, in Rio de Janeiro (Building Fundação Getúlio Vargas, Praia do Botafogo 190, 12th floor).
The publication presents a reflection about the place of Brazil in the world in accordance with the security relations in the international system.
“Besides its usefulness as subsidy for the formulation of public policies in the field of the national defense, “Segurança Internacional: Perspectivas Brasileiras” can be considered an element of essential consultation for students and teachers of graduation and postgraduate education in International Relations, Political Science, Sociology and Strategic Studies”, informs the MD.
The book, with introduction of the Minister of Defense and preface of the President of the Foundation Getúlio Vargas, is divided in five parts:
1. The Global Scenario of Security;
2. Contemporary Challenges of Security;
3. The Regional Circumstance of Security;
4. Brazilian Perspectives of Security; and
5. The Regional Reality of Security.
The authors and the boarded themes are:
1. “The Global Scenario of Security”: Great tendencies of the contemporary international security, Héctor Luis Saint-Pierre; Wars and military doctrines in the XX century and facing the New World Order, Francisco Carlos Teixeira da Silva; Are the interstate wars a thing of the past?, Domício Proença Junior; Wars of fourth generation or another fallacy travestied of wisdom?, Luiz Eduardo Rocha Paiva; China and the international system of security, Henrique Altemani de Oliveira; The future of the peace operations of the United Nations, Antonio Jorge Ramalho da Rocha; Regional blocs, democracy and conflict, Renato G. Flôres Jr.
2. “Contemporary Challenges of Security”: The concept of climatic security: reflexes for the developing countries, Sergio Amaral; Duty of protecting or new form of interventionism?, Gelson Fonseca Jr.; Sovereignty and intervention in environmental questions, Aldo Rebelo; Catastrophic terrorism: real or imaginary enemy?, Eugenio Diniz; The proliferation of mass destruction weapons: myth or reality?, William Waack; The future of the nuclear weapons, Rex Nazaré Alves; The advancement of the military technology and the compression of the strategic space in global scale, Mário Alberto de Almeida, Daílson Mendes de Oliveira and Tarcísio Takashi Muta; The militarization of the space: challenges for the middle powers, Cleonilson Nicácio Silva.
3. “The Regional Circumstance of Security”: Natural resources and conflict in the South America, Marco Aurélio Garcia; El espacio sudamericano como “zona de paz” a preservar frente a factores de turbulencia intra y extra-regionales (in English: The south American space as “zone of peace” to preserve facing factors of turbulence intra and extra-regional), Fabián Calle; International security in the South America, Monica Herz; The South American Council of Defense and its instrumentality, Marcos Vinicius Pinta Gama; and It is viable the formation of a cluster of industries of defense in the South America, Marcelo Odebrecht.
4. “Brazilian Perspectives of Security”: Vulnerabilities of the current Brazilian development: sketch of diagnosis and of indication of overcoming policies, Luiz Alfredo Salomão; Diplomacy, defense and the political definition of the international goals: the Brazilian case, Maria Regina Soares de Lima; The necessary military capacities, Alberto Cardoso; The role of the Congress in the defense questions: between the abdication and the commitment, Octavio Amorim Neto; Defending the pre-salt basin, Julio Soares de Moura Neto; Building hypotheses of employment in the Amazon region, Eduardo Villas Bôas; Financing of long term in defense, Ibsen Pinheiro and National Strategy of Defense (END), Raul Jungmann.
5. “The Regional Reality of Security”: Central America and North America – The regional security realities: the re-creation of the Fourth Squad and its meaning, José Alberto Accioly Fragelli; The drug trafficking and the Mexican national security, Alberto Pfeifer; Africa – The presence of China in Africa, Williams Gonçalves; The South Atlantic and the western coast of Africa: the Brazilian interests and the energetic question; José Sergio Gabrielli; Europe – The future of the NATO, Darc Costa; France and its insertion in the European security, Antônio Carlos Lessa; Middle East – Perspectives of resolution of the conflicts in the Middle East, Reginaldo Nasser; Nuclear weapons in the volatile Middle East: some interpretations, Márcio Scalercio; Asia-Pacific – China as global military power: if, when and how?, Severino Cabral; and The strategic options of Japan, Carlos Lessa.